Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Today was a ShoCkeR!

I woke up this morning Encouraged but I'm sitting here discouraged. Waking up this morning I had an idea of how this day was going to be.

Today was my appointment with Dr. Filicko (my bone marrow Dr.). The goal of the appointment was to finally set a date to begin the transplant, sign some papers, draw some bloods, and leave with a direction, a plan for my health. Instead, as I sit there in the doctors office with my mother waiting as I think with glee on how soon my life will change. Dr. Filicko enters and encourages me that ALL the tests I've had to do for the transplant have been surprisingly Great! She then shares with me that the goal was to get me started on December 10th and be done just days before Christmas. Wow, I'm so excited till I stop and realize she used the word WAS in her statement.

There's a problem she says. Your insurance which we thought would cover your transplant is not covered. She goes into an in depth explanation about what the problem is and why I can't make the December 10th date. As she's talking all I can do is sit there as tears begin to roll down my face. What is happening is the thought running through my mind and does this mean the transplant is Off? No, my doctor says. She shares that the transplant will cost anywhere from $500,000-$1.0 million and that if we were to still go through with it I would be accosted by the billing department. I told the doctor that I am willing to do whatever it takes to do this transplant even if it takes every single penny I have to show good intention to the powers that be. The doctor doesn't want me to have to live that way but I counter with: look at the way I'm living now, I have no life, I'm in pain every single day, I can't sleep b/c of how much pain I go through, I can barely walk at times. I really can't live this way forever.

Hearing about this setback brought about so much emotion. All I could think about was living in pain for a longer period of time. My heart broke especially because I came into the appointment elated and eager to hear the date set for the procedure and instead I got a bomb--blowing the date back to the unknown.

Dr. Filicko suggested I try to find a Benefactor (someone who would donate/fund my transplant). Now, she said whether I do that by trying to contact a celebrity who would be willing to donate (by contacting an association) like Sickle Cell Disease Association of America or SCDAA or family/friend who has the means to make such a donation. So if there's anyone out there thatis reading this an would love to help me or know's someone who would be willing and able to help me please contact me. You can find my contact information at: http://www.wandefightsforsicklecellanemia.com/, http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=134212590888, or comment below with the information~> I would be eternally grateful.

So as of this moment the transplant has been placed on hold. I believe with ever fiber of my being that God has put me through all of this and has taken me to Philadelphia specifically to finally bring me some peace in my health by providing me with the opportunity to do this bone marrow transplant. Though this is a stumbling block. I truly believe it is a momentary one and that I will do this procedure and be Cured! Its just a matter of when and how!

I ask for each and every one of your prayers to help me get through this very difficult time of my life. Thank you from the bottom of my heart!!


No comments:

Post a Comment